Industries in Milan transporting freight via water have less than a three hour drive time to three major river ports. Test.
- The International Port of Memphis, the second largest inland port on the shallow draft portion of the Mississippi River and the 4th largest inland port in the United States, is just 99 miles from Milan.
- The Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway, is a connecting link between established water transportation routes is just 160 miles from Milan.
- Currently in its construction phase, The Port of Cates Landing is located in nearby Lake County. The port, which is the only developable site on the Mississippi River above the 100-year flood plain between Memphis, TN and Cairo, IL is scheduled for completion in late 2009.
Milan is connected to 4 Class I Railroads. Rail is serviced by West TN Railroad. West TN Railroad is connected to Canadian National, CSXT, Kansas City Southern, and Norfolk Southern. The nearest rail interchange is for CSX located in neighboring Humboldt TN.
Inter-modal services are located in Jackson TN, less than 20 miles from Milan.
- Interstate 40 – East to West Interstate connecting east coast to west coast.
Milan is connected to I-40 by 17 miles of 4 lane divided highway (US Hwy 45 E).
- Interstate 55 – North / South Interstate
Milan connects to I55 via Dyersburg (50 miles) or Memphis (99 miles).
- Future I-69 – NAFTA Highway connecting Canada to Mexico.
Milan is 70 miles from the planned I-169 connector.
- US Highway 45 – North / South highway (Chicago to Mobile) runs through the heart of Milan.
- Other major highways running through Milan are US highways 70A, 79 and State highways 104 and 77.